Loansome Doc is a feature of PubMed which allows users who are unaffiliated with a library to request articles for citations they have found using Pubmed. The journal articles may be ordered online using the Loansome Doc Ordering Screen. The requests are sent to DOCLINE, the National Library of Medicine's online ordering system, which transfers them to the Fishbon Memorial Library. The Fishbon Memorial Library fills the request if the material is available. The requester receives a photocopy of the article by standard mail, email as a pdf attachment, or they may pick it up at the Library.
The Library serves all users within the United States not affiliated with a medical library. The fee is $15 per article up to 25 pages in length. The cost beyond 25 pages is $.50 for each additional page. The fee for a rush request is $25.
Instructions to become a registered user with the Fishbon Memorial Library
- Complete the Fishbon Memorial Library Loansome Doc Application Form. Choose a format:
Download and print out:
— PDF format - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
— Microsoft Word format
Or, phone the Fishbon Library Information Desk at 415-885-7378 to receive an application by U.S. mail, fax or email.
- Check your application to be sure it is complete.
- Read the Copyright Disclaimer, sign the form, and return it to the Fishbon Library either via mail, fax or email:
H.M. Fishbon Memorial Library
Loansome Doc Request
1600 Divisadero Street
UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion
San Francisco, CA 94143-1637
- Once the form is signed and received at the Fishbon Memorial Library, applicants will receive the Fishbon Library Docline Ordering Library ID required to request articles through Loansome Doc.
- Using the Docline Ordering Library ID, register at the Loansome Doc Registration Page at PubMed.
Questions? Please call the Library at (415) 885-7378.
Resources for Patients
Patients and visitors can learn more about the resources available to them at the UCSF Patient Health Library website.